Friday, December 31, 2010

"Terry from Bulls Gap, you're on the air!"

"Thanks, guys. I appreciate you taking my call."

"No problem, Terry. What's your question?"

"I just have one comment.

"Where I sit, the wind is ringing the wind chimes, turning the weather vane, swaying trees and portending a big temperature change.

"Where I sat last night, on the 50-yard line, watching the capacity crowd watching the two schools pit their moneymaking machines against each other, all in the name of putting student-athletes through college on scholarships...

"Well, it got me to thinking."

"Terry, are you used to thinking? We don't want you to strain yourself just for the sake of our call-in postgame analysis radio show."

"Fellows, that's the thing. Why'n the world would I have to have a reason to think about anything after the game's over?

"You see, to me, the game's all about the whole ordeal.

"The drive to the game. Finding parking that's close and cheap. Eating a good meal. Meeting folks from different parts of the country. Seeing all the types of folks who show up. Singing the national anthem. Cheering and booing at the right time just like in church service."

"You boo in church, Terry?"

"Sure do. The preacher's sermons are often controversial and go off on tangents that are inappropriate for the subject stated in the church bulletin. We don't wait for no committee to set the preacher straight. We just boo and yell 'Get to the point' while he's preaching."

"We like your church, Terry. Do you have a point for our listeners?"

"Yes, I do. Last night's game was a doozy..."

"No arguing that one, Terry."

"...And I hear a posse of bear trappers and a gaggle of lawyers are going on the hunt for some Big Ten officials. But let's remember that it's one more game in the game of life. We'll find something new to talk about tomorrow which, according to my farmer's almanac, is going to be the first day of 2011."

"My mobile phone agrees with your calendar, Terry. Thanks for calling in. You have a safe New Year's Eve."

"You, too, guys. One more thing. You know anything about this new country singer, Gwyneth Paltrow? Her name sounds foreign to me. Ain't country-sounding enough. Are we importing our country singers now, too?"

"Terry, she's as American as you and I are."

"That so? Guess I better get out more."

"Thanks for your comments, Terry, as usual. Next caller, you're on the air. Minnie from Grinder's Switch, what's your question?"

No comments:

Post a Comment