Friday, January 14, 2011

What is a destiny and am I running away from it?

Tucked away behind a stack of unopened boxes of interlocking wood flooring pieces is a set of shelves covered with dozens of VCR tapes.

"Tell me more, tell me more!  Did he put up a fight?!"

The tapes, most of them prerecorded, cover topics ranging from the heyday of 1990s Univ. of TN football to the Avengers TV series to pop films.

None of them discuss the measurement of the billiard ball interaction of states of energy (at least, not in that terminology - of course, they discuss it in all its abstract redefinitions).

The blank VCR tapes we bought are mostly remagnitised with NASCAR races, football games and films/shows recorded off the tellie.

Not having kids, we don't have a collection of what we thought at the time were cute actions by our children long since grown up.

Together, the VCR tapes and shelves exert a downward force on the floor which exerts a downward force on the joists which exert a downward force on the foundation blocks, etc.

There is, also, the centripetal/centrifugal* force of Earth's spin associated with the Moon, the planets and last but not least, our local star.

(*will I ever keep the two words distinctly defined in my head?)

What is my physical attraction to the shelves?  Literally.

I can't get to the tapes easily but I can reach some of them and almost all of the DVD discs stacked nearby.

Those magnetised bits of material and stamped discs have helped rearrange my nervous system circuitry.

Here I sit listening to the Music Choice(R) "Classical Masterpieces" channel and contemplating the universe as exemplified by the stacks of material around me.

A thought process tens of thousands of years in the making (hundreds of millions, to some degree, but only sort of billions of years in the making).

Somebody told me there's a big brouhaha being raised about the phrase, "brood library."  I'm not sure if it's a controversy taking place on the campus of an agricultural college or a chicken farm but I'm sure it's exciting to those who know the details of the event.

In any case, as much as holding the universe (by extension) in my hand (virtually through the thought process) is interesting, I pause to note the state of ice sublimation and snow melting around the house and ask what does the heating of the Earth's surface and atmosphere have to do with the flow of liquid and gases we call weather.

Science is a word that represents much but science is not the answer to every question, not abstractly.

Neither will I prove the theory of Higgs boson by thinking here abstractly for a million years.  Speaking of which:
Higgs Boson enters a church. The priest says 'get out!' and the Higgs Boson says: 'but without me, how can you have mass?'
I chew off the dead portion of my fingernails because there's a puzzle that's puzzling me.


Should I think colloquially, using contractions and droppin' my g, or is the only, best, way to think by using the most proper form of the language/subculture common to most of my central nervous circuitry?


Life moves on.  I have no need of taking advantage of others' less-motivated lifestyles to motivate myself to build an empire, big or small, because of my beliefs.  I have no children.  I have, at most, my wife and perhaps my parents to support - compared to the changing costs of living in our local economies, our combined incomes and investment holdings should suffice to keep all of us alive as long as we need/want.


At the same time, I desire to deal with the envy and jealousy - states of energy assigned to the realm of emotions - that arise when I see others doing what I believe I am also capable of but for whatever reason have chosen not to compete.


If my destiny is to report to the Committee of 7.5 ideas and potential events that benefit me in no way but makes the other committee members wealthier, then what kind of destiny is that?


If I don't have a dog in the fight, there's no reason to put myself in a position to make a sheriff's reelection prospects more appealing.


I know who I am.  The question remains, where do I want to be myself that causes the fewest unintended consequences?


My life journey is both my own and that of the people with whom I communicate most often (family and close friends) and infrequently (the rest of the population (as well as the rest of the universe)).


Some tell stories with books and some tell stories with computer programs.  I have done both and of either one of those, I'm done.


Time to move on.


Time to talk to myself somewhere else.


Where, I don't know.  I am tired of the days of being boxed up in the cattle yards and chicken coops of office buildings, laboratories, classrooms and factories, where and when I used to be most comfortable.


It's easy to prognosticate and see a certain view of life from behind a keyboard and in front of a computer display.


Time to get away from the electromechanical virtual world, which is but one of many subsets of the worlds within the universe as we see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment